Vegetable Lasagna with a Homemade Tomato Sauce
Cheesy, tomato-y vegetable lasagna with a homemade tomato sauce. nuff’ said. forever dreaming of this deliciousness in a pan. Filled with shiitake mushrooms, spinach + zucchini but feel free to sub with any of your favorite veggies and proteins as well, it is super versatile.
- For the Ricotta Filling
- 4 cups ricotta
- 2 tablespoons shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the Sauce
- 1 white onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes we used San Marzano
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Other Ingredients
- 1 package of lasagna noodles
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms finely sliced 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup zucchini finely chopped
- top with basil
- top with mozzarella to melt
- To begin, make your ricotta filling by mixing with mozzarella, parmesan, chives garlic powder, lemon, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Next, in a pot sweat your onions, garlic cloves and add in your tomatoes (hand squish them), mix well. Add your tomato paste, lemon juice and zest and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Let simmer up to 1 hour and let everything wilt down and combine.
- In the meantime, sauté your spinach, mushrooms and spinach and make your lasagna noodles according to the package instructions (take off 1-2 before for al dente). In a oven-safe dish, assemble your lasagna by laying a later of tomato sauce on the bottom of the pan. Then roll your lasagna with the ricotta filling and vegetables. Lather on more sauce until fully covered. Top with mozzarella and bake until crispy. Serve and enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Mention @lindseyeats or tag #lindseyeats!
I was so excited to be a part of Saputo Inc.’s The Big Cook Up to give back to my communities – in the name of lasagna! This year, on November 13th, the Saputo team prepared over 30,000 warm and delicious lasagna meals for those in need in locations across the US, Canada, Argentina, and Australia. Interested in making this dish for your community?