Cream of Mushroom Soup (Cream-Free!)
I am absolutely obsessed with this cream of mushroom soup – that is completely cream-free, and dairy-free – it is just DIVINE, a dream, I can eat it over and over. I would also toss it with pasta and make a creamy mushroom sauce pasta, SO much YES.
First, What makes this soup creamy?
ALMONDS. YES. SOAKED ALMONDS, make this SO creamy once it’s blended.
Second, here’s how it goes:
a mix of shiitake and baby bella mushrooms
aromatics, garlic, onions
Third, the ingredients are cooked down all together; such DEEP and delicious flavors, blended all together to create the most perfect soup ever.
It’s not really feeling like Fall in Los Angeles right now, but I don’t care. I’m feeling all the fall things with this soup – and it’s ready to be made for when it’s a little bit chillier. As for now, I will enjoy it when it’s still hot out because, soup weather is any time for me.
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms thinly sliced
- 6 cups baby bella mushrooms thinly sliced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon balsamic
- 4 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup peeled + slivered almonds cashews work too
- 1/3 rd cup white wine
- 2 sprigs rosemary + more to garnish
- Start by prepping and slicing your onions, garlic and mushrooms.
- In a deep pot/dutch oven, sweat out your onions and garlic with a drizzle of olive oil for 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Next, add your mushrooms and almonds in the pot and mix well. Let everything combine until the mushrooms have reduced down - about 20 minutes. Adjust with salt and pepper throughout.
- After that, add in your wine, balsamic and rosemary. Mix and reduce the wine down.
- Once your wine has reduced, add your vegetable broth and bring to a simmer until everything is combined and soft.
- Blend all your soup components in a blender or immersion blender. Bring back to the pot and heat up, serve and season and top with olive oil and rosemary.
Keep up with me on Instagram! @lindseyeatsla
Looking for more soup recipes? Start below: