Roasted Sweet Potato and Pumpkin Hummus
I’m just dreaming of this roasted sweet potato and pumpkin hummus! Roasted sweet potatoes blended with spices, tahini, pumpkin and lemon juice. SO good, and this is such an amazing savory appetizer and snack. I love making hummus at home, it’s so easy, super non fuss and you can mix and match so many different flavors.
You most definitely need this in your life. If you love hummus, be sure to check out our other recipes below:
How do you make hummus creamy?
Rinse and shell your chickpeas. This is KEY to the creaminess hummus. It helps blend and smooth out the mixture, and makes it fantastic.
What ingredients are in this creamy pumpkin hummus recipe?
- Roasted sweet potatoes
- Pumpkin (canned or fresh, you can also sub for any kind of fresh roasted squash)
- Garbanzo beans
- Lemon juice
- Tahini (always necessary for creamy hummus)
- Garlic, fresh is best here!
- Smoked paprika, but you can use any of your favorite seasonings like cumin, cayenne pepper, or even pumpkin spices.
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Water or ice cubes! (yes! this helps get it super smooth and silky as well)
- Toppings: pumpkin seeds and smoked paprika
Serve with crackers, pita bread or pita chips, chips or veggies as well!
Instructions to make this hummus dip recipe
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- On a sheet tray with parchment paper, add on your cubed sweet potatoes and toss with extra-virgin olive oil, kosher salt and black pepper. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes until your potatoes are fork tender. Cool.
In a food processor, add in your cooled roasted sweet potatoes with chickpeas, pumpkin, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, smoked paprika and water (or ice cubes). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pulse until you get a thick, creamy, silky hummus. Adjust with more water, as needed.
Spread in a bowl and shallow plate and top with pumpkin seeds and a dash more smoked paprika.
Looking for more pumpkin and squash recipes? Start below:
- Pumpkin Carrot Soup
- Honeynut Squash Risotto with Fontina and Sage
- Stuffed Honeynut Squash with Couscous and Feta
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
If you do make this Pumpkin Hummus recipe (first of all, thank you!!), be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram and through social media so I can be sure to see what you’re making! If you’d like to stay in touch and get the latest to your inbox, sign up for our Newsletter here as well!
Updated from October 2020
Roasted Sweet Potato & Pumpkin Hummus
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas rinsed and skins peeled
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree or 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin or squash
- 1/2 cup tahini
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water or 2 to 3 ice cubes adjust to desired thickness
- Top with pumpkin seeds and paprika
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel and cube your sweet potato and add on a sheet tray with parchment, season with salt and pepper and roast for 30-45 minutes until cooked through. Cool. (You can also roast pumpkin/squash at this point too, or you can use canned pumpkin).
- In a food processor or blender, add in all your ingredients for the hummus until a thick hummus consistency forms.
- Spread in a bowl and shallow plate and top with pumpkin seeds and paprika.