Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Gochujang Spicy Mayo
Crispy smashed potatoes with this gochujang spicy mayo is, by far, my new favorite app, ever! A big reason why I’m obsessed with this recipe is because it uses mostly pantry staples, so I can always whip this up as a quick snack. This potato recipe is super crisp on the outside, and nice and flakey/tender on the inside. One of my absolutely favorite potato dishes that is the perfect side dish.
However, this recipe is absolutely perfect for a holiday dinner side dish, served with a main at dinner and more! Legit, epic!
What Ingredients do you need for these crispy smashed potatoes recipe?
- Potatoes: We are using small potatoes, but you can use potatoes like gold potatoes or yukon gold.
- olive oil
- garlic clove
- gochugaru or red pepper flakes work well here as well
- Mayo: but feel free to sub for sour cream or creme fraiche here as another option!
- rice wine vinegar
- salt and black pepper
- chopped parsley, lemon juice/zest and grated parmesan for serving
Other optional add-ons:
Other flavors that will work really well in this recipe are fresh herbs (like rosemary, cilantro and fresh chives!), butter, dried spices like onion powder and garlic powder as well!
Instructions to make this recipe
Boil and cook potatoes
To begin, boil your water and add in your potatoes with salt in a large pot. Boil until fork tender, drain when ready. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Make your seasoning
Toss your potatoes with olive oil, grated garlic, paprika, gochugaru as well as salt and pepper. Mix well.
Add your seasoned taters to a baking sheet with parchment paper. Take a cup and smash them down. Repeat until you go through the whole mixture. Pour over any remaining seasoning from the bowl as well.
Roast your potatoes
Transfer to the oven for about 30 minutes, flipping halfway and bake until golden brown.
Make your gochujang spicy mayo
In the meantime, make your mayo, mix together gochujang, mayo, rice wine vinegar, sriracha, pinch of sugar, salt and pepper. Mix until combined.
Garnish and serve!
When your smashed potatoes are finished, garnish with chopped parsley, a drizzle of fresh lemon juice, zest, flakey sea salt (optional) and grated parmesan cheese. Serve with your gochujang spicy mayo and enjoy!
Tips, Tricks and Substitutions
If you would like to omit spicy
- Take out the paprika and gochugaru in the seasoning mix for the potatoes. For the spicy mayo, I would omit gochujang and sriracha, and sub for lemon juice and a grated garlic clove to make a lemon aioli!
- You can also mix and match the flavors of both your seasoning and your sauce, here. The world is your oyster! Add some chili powder, add turmeric, whatever you have on hand.
To make this plant-based
To make this vegan, just omit parmesan for garnish!
How do I make my potatoes extra crispy?
After your potatoes are finished and drained, let them dry out and steam a tad, so when you’re mixing it with the seasoning mix, it is not wet and the seasoning stays in tack, which in turn gets for crispier potatoes!
Should you boil potatoes before frying them?
For this recipe using potatoes, you will boil your potatoes first and then roast/bake them. However, if you’re making something like french fries, and frying them, you won’t need to pre-boil them.
Looking for more potato dishes? See below!
- Creme Fraiche Mashed Potatoes (take on the classics made with yukon gold potatoes)
- Crispy Grilled Potato Salad with Horseradish Sauce (it’s with grilled or roasted potatoes!)
- Leek Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese
- Caviar and Potato Chips
Serve your smashed potatoes with:
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Persimmon & Avocado Salad with a Citrus Vinaigrette
- Chili-Rubbed Sheet Pan Steelhead Trout
- Garlic Herb Roasted Chicken
More appetizers and sides you’ll love:
- Roasted Garlic & Herb Yogurt Dip
- Spiced Lamb Pita Chips with Whipped Feta
- Mushroom & Sage Toasts with Whipped Goat Cheese
- Lemon Haricots Verts (French Green Beans) With Crispy Shallots
If you do make these Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Gochujang Spicy Mayo (first of all, thank you!!), be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram so I can be sure to see what you’re making! If you’d like to stay in touch and get the latest to your inbox, sign up for our newsletter here as well!
Watch How To Make This Recipe
Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Gochujang Spicy Mayo
- 24 oz mini potatoes
- 1/4th cup olive oil
- 1 grated garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon gochugaru
- 1 tablespoon gochujang
- 1/3rd cup mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley lemon juice/zest and grated parmesan for serving
- To begin, boil your water and add in your potatoes with salt. Boil until fork tender. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss your cooked potatoes with olive oil, grated garlic, paprika, gochugaru as well as salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add your seasoned potatoes to a baking sheet with parchment. Take a cup and smash down your potatoes. Repeat until you go through all your potatoes. Pour over any remaining seasoning from the bowl as well.
- Transfer to the oven for about 30 minutes, flipping halfway.
- In the meantime, make your mayo, mix together gochujang, mayo, rice wine vinegar, sriracha, pinch of sugar, salt and pepper. Mix until combined.
- When your smashed potatoes are finished, garnish with chopped parsley, lemon juice, zest and grated parmesan. Serve with your gochujang spicy mayo and enjoy!