Roasted Red Pepper And Tomato Soup
Roasted Red Pepper And Tomato Soup
I LOVE this roasted red pepper and tomato soup. It’s blended up with roasted tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, shallots, chili flakes, oregano + basil. It’s creamy, dreamy and delicious. There is also no cream in the soup making this a light, plant-based option. The spices are bloomed with plant butter from Califia Farms, which give some creaminess and silkiness to this soup. SO delicious. I think this would also be amazing to toss over some pasta, too. So much nomz!
This is going to go on your fall/winter repeat!
Here’s How It Goes
First, you’re going to start with roasting tomatoes, bell pepper, onions, shallots and garlic with salt pepper and oil.
Second, you’ll add in a pot with plant butter and seasonings – this helps the soup get creamy and silky! (no cream needed!) The seasonings we’re adding here are chili flakes and oregano – they pair perfectly with the roasted veggies. You’ll bloom the seasonings with the butter then add your roasted mixture.
Third, you’ll toss in some fresh basil and sherry vinegar. I LOVE the tartness and zing the vinegar brings here. Then seal it all together with water. (season throughout!)
Lastly, blend well, heat and serve!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion roughly chopped
- 1 shallot roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 6 roma tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1/4 th teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 3 tablespoons Califia Farms Butter with Avocado Oil melted
- 1/2 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1/4 th cup basil
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Top with fresh basil coconut drizzle (optional) and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Roughly chop your vegetables and place your peppers, onion, shallot, garlic and tomatoes on a tray with parchment paper, mix with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 1 hour until everything is cooked and roasted throughout.
- Next, melt your butter. In a deep pot or dutch oven, add your butter on low and stir in your chili flakes, oregano, salt and pepper to let the flavors bloom for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in your roasted vegetables (juices included) and give it a good stir. Add 1 cup of water, sherry vinegar and a handful of basil. Let it come to simmer (not boil) and turn off heat.
- Transfer to a blender or use an immersion blender and mix until a smooth soup has formed. Transfer back to the pot and adjust with salt and pepper. Serve in bowls, top with basil, coconut milk and pepper!
Keep up with on Instagram @lindseyeatsla!
Looking for more soup recipes? Start below:
Hi, how many servings is this recipe?
Can you substitute milk instead of water? Would it make the soup creamier?
Can you substitute milk for water? Would it make it creamier?
Yes! Feel free to sub with milk or cream!
Thank you Lindsey! This was very easy and so delicious! I served it to a friend for her birthday lunch. I had made some roasted red pepper & chipotle pesto for another dish a few days before and added a dollop to to soup pot (which then added cheese so it was no longer vegan), but I did top it off for serving with cashew yogurt! The house smelled so good when the vegetables were roasting. Will definitely make this again.
Hi Beth! So glad you enjoyed, thank you for your review!
I just want to thank you so much, this is one of my favourite soup recipes! I’ve made it so many times over the last year, but hadn’t all summer and now that it’s fall again I wanted to make it again but couldn’t for the life of me remember where I had gotten it from. Thankfully, I finally found it and will be certain to bookmark it now! Thank you again.
Hi Claire! Thank you so much for your review! So happy you’ve been enjoying this soup. 🙂