Harissa & Sumac Roasted Chicken with Tzatziki
Weeknight dinner idea: this harissa and sumac roasted chicken with tzatziki! It is SO good. First, you’ll start by making your marinade with harissa powder, lemon pepper, sumac, paprika, salt, pepper and oil, all tossed over a spatchcocked chicken.
Literally, this roast chicken has so much flavor!
Second, it’s then baked in the oven with some red onions (SO good when caramelized with the chicken). It becomes crispy, tangy & tender!
Finally, I love to have this chicken with homemade tzatziki, a squeeze of lemon juice and you are SET for dinner. If you’ve never had sumac, it is made from dried and ground berries of the wild sumac flower. It’s tangy, sour & acidic and pairs perfectly with meats, vegetables and sprinkled over as a topping, too.
Ingredients You Need For Your Harissa & Sumac Chicken:
- harissa powder
- lemon pepper powder
- olive oil
- whole chicken
- red onion
- lemon juice
- Persian cucumbers
- greek yogurt
- lemon zest
- olive oil
- garlic cloves
- dill (parsley works too!)
- black pepper and kosher salt to taste
- lemon slices/wedges to serve
What is Sumac?
Sumac is made from dried and ground berries of the wild sumac flower. It tastes tangy, sour & acidic and pairs perfectly with meats, vegetables and sprinkled over as a topping, too.
How to make your marinade and chicken:
First, you’ll start with your chicken marinade.
Second, toss harissa powder, lemon pepper, sumac, paprika, olive oil, salt, pepper together and add over your chicken. I like to remove the backbone (spatchcock) and split in 2.
Preheat your convection oven to 430 degrees. On a baking dish or oven-safe dish, add your chicken in and toss over your marinade all around the chicken, on all sides. Add in your red onions around the chicken. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees or more. When it’s ready, squeeze over some fresh lemon juice and serve on your favorite platter!
How to Make Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
It starts with a grated cucumber, tossed with greek yogurt, lemon juice, zest, oil, garlic, dill, mint, a little vinegar and salt. SO easy, just mix it all together in a medium bowl and you’re ready to go. You’ll slice your chicken, and serve with your sauce!
Basically, this is just EPIC.
Modifications & Notes:
- You can most definitely use chicken parts for this; instead of getting a whole chicken. You can also use a regular whole chicken without the backbone removed.
- I prefer a spatchcocked chicken, because it cooks more evenly, and cooks quicker. It’s also easier to carve!
Make it a MEAL! Some ideas & inspiration to serve with this dish:
- Horseradish Kale Caesar Salad
- Top with Pickled Red Onions
- & for dessert Chocolate Mousse
- drink this Empress Gin Fizz
- Little Gem Wedge Salad with a Gorgonzola Dressing
Looking for more chicken ideas? Check Out The Below Recipes!
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Ginger Scallion Chicken Ramen Noodles
- Poached Chicken Salad with a Creamy Sesame Dressing
- Thai Chicken Larb
- Chicken Tinga Tacos
- Chicken Schnitzel (my aunt’s famous recipe!!)
For The Marinade
- 2 tablespoons harissa powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sumac (I'm using Spice Tribe)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 whole chicken, backbone removed and split into 2
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- juice of 1 lemon to finish
- 1 Persian cucumber, grated
- 7 oz greek yogurt
- ½ of a lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tablespoon dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint, chopped
- ½ teaspoon vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Preheat your convection oven to 430 degrees. In a mixing bowl, make your chicken marinade by tossing harissa, lemon pepper, sumac, paprika, salt and pepper and olive oil. Mix well.
- On a baking dish or oven-safe dish, add your chicken in and toss over your marinade all around the chicken, on all sides. Add in your red onions around the chicken. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees or more.
- In the meantime, make your tzatziki. In a bowl, add your grated cucumber, yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, garlic, dill, mint, vinegar and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- When your chicken is ready, remove from the oven, let rest for 15 minutes, toss over lemon juice. Slice, and serve with your sauce!